Saturday, May 11, 2013

My BIG news!

So no...I'm not pregnant (I didn't really think the "hint" I left on my last post all the way through...a little duckling). But no one really guess as to what my news was, I guess that's what I get for being away from blog world for so long.

Anyway....the news is that my family is moving to the west coast...more specifically, Oregon! Now do you get the DUCK hint?!?!...need a little more help?


Why Oregon you ask? Well my husband's parents live in Northern California (where we visited last summer, and yes at that time we were making a decision to move there). We wanted to move to the area to be closer to his family. The area his parents live in didn't offer much in the job market, so we went about 30 minutes north and really liked the Medford (more Ashland) area of Oregon. Almost a year later, to the month my husband secured a job in that area.

He is already living there, along with ALL our stuff. My daughter and I are still in GA until the end of the school year and then will make the trip to join him.

Maybe now this will also shed some light on to my lack of blogging. It's been a long, rough, and difficult process. I would say that my husband has made approximately five trips (if not more) to Oregon in the past 8 months to interview, test, interview again, move some of our stuff, then move the remainder of our stuff out there. We fortunately sold our house and moved in with family, again very thankful, but very different. I had to pack up all my "side business" items (buckets) and store those.

Finally, on this final move that my husband made I had to pack up my classroom! Yep...if I wanted ANY of my teaching items out on the west coast they had to be packed up and go with the hubby (my daughter and I are flying). I also was pretty limited to what I could take, due to room. It was pretty difficult but I narrowed it down to about 6 tubs, and 10 boxes. I was going to take a picture of it, but (not kidding) I had already packed the good camera. My classroom doesn't look much different right now because NONE of the furniture that I bought nor most of the decor made the move. :(  But I made peace with that and really look forward to setting up a new classroom. On the bright side my teacher friends have already started tagging the items they want in my end of the year classroom garage sale!

Yes I do plan on teaching out in Oregon, just not so sure how that is going to go. I have been very busy sending out applications, filling out online applications, and applying for my Oregon certification (that has been a massive headache right there!). I am pretty lucky that Oregon should take all of my GA credentials, but I am going to have to take a Civil Rights exam (eek, must start studying for that one). The hard part was the money YIKES, and the fingerprinting. The other hard part is being in GA while most schools in Oregon are interviewing. I've already gotten two emails explaining that they interviewed local people first and have filled their positions. I did get a tentative Skype interview, but she also said that they would interview locals first then schedule the Skype interview.

Therefore if anyone knows anyone or openings in the Medford area, help a teacher out! :) I'm not against finding a job outside of teaching, but after 10yrs...it's pretty much my passion. I am open to possibly doing something related to education, maybe even technology in education.

As a follower of my blog...you get yet ANOTHER classroom reveal (job pending of course)!!!!

Thank you for sticking with me and being so understanding as my family has been and will be going through this adjustment and huge step!