Thursday, May 30, 2013

Good-byes

The last two and a half weeks have been incredibly draining emotionally. I feel as though I'm ready, this has been a very long, drawn out process and the good-byes are getting harder and harder. My roots here in GA go deep, as do my friendships!

It started two weeks ago when my best friend of almost 20 years (wow, it's really been that long) suddenly lost her unborn baby girl. She was about 6 months pregnant so this came as a complete shock. All I could do was just be there for her, cry with her, hug her....just be there. My friend joked as I laid in the hospital bed with her that she wanted to spend more time with me before I left, but she didn't expect it to be that way. I was just glad that I could be there and I wasn't on the other side of the U.S. when it happened. But that also made saying good-bye even more difficult!

The next week it was time to say good-bye to my 5th graders. If you have ever taught 5th grade (at least in my neck of the woods) that last day is a cry fest. This was my first year experiencing it all, and man it was rough. With the final moments of that last day drawing near my class (which has been a tough one) sat in a large circle. Before I could even talk the girls were crying (some so much that I had to talk even louder). I gave them a little speech about looking around the room and remembering each and every one of their classmates, to never forget the times they had together in my class and possibly even previous classes. To never forget each other and how at one time they were all friends and classmates; not to let middle school or even high school change that, even though they may find/make new friends, be in different sports or clubs, but never to forget this moment; because they never know when they may need each other or that person sitting next to them; as I had found out the previous week.

As we prepared to take the "last walk" down the halls and to their buses...on my right I had my most challenging student of the school year. The student that actually was the first to ever "boo" me in class, a student that when I pushed her she pushed back! But in the end she proudly stated: "This is the first year I won't have to attend summer school in my entire elementary school career!" She cried the hardest! On my left was a student that challenged me every day. She asked a million questions, all of which I was happy to answer (even if I had to research a little). I had never had a student who's desire to learn was so strong. She will one day inspire me with her creativity and passion. We held hands and walked together, crying.

Waving good-bye to the buses!

The week came to an end I had to say yet another difficult good-bye; to two of my closest co-teachers. I wouldn't have believed it if you told me a year ago that the three of us would have grown so close to each other. We really worked well with each other and complimented each other. And yet we only got the chance to work together one school year. And now we were all three going in different directions; one to a new position, another to a different school district, and then I was leaving the state all together! At one point we were just standing there staring at each other in disbelief. I know we will all stay in touch, and we have a bond that is hard to describe, but that didn't make it any easier! I'm just lucky I got the privilege to work with these two ladies and call them my friends!

I totally rocked this photo bomb! 

Us at the fifth grade dance...I designed our class shirts! 

Once those good-byes were said and done I began having to say bye to my family. My sister and brother flew in so that the four siblings could have last weekend together. My brother just got a job in Texas and is now there, my one sister has lived in Ohio since graduating from OSU, my younger sister will be staying in GA, and I will be moving to Oregon. We had a great long weekend together and got to do some fun things, but this time saying good-bye was a lot harder than it has ever been, maybe because we are older now or that we have kids...but it sure wasn't easy!



This last week I spend running errands, packing boxes and shipping them, and having a few last play dates with my daughter's friends and of course their parents. I also had to say good-bye to my friends from my previous school...again. Even though I had left there over two years ago we stayed in contact and met each other for lunch or dinner from time to time. My daughter had her final Chic-fil-a play date today and thank goodness for sunglasses...because once again the tears rolled as we walked out the door.


 We have had playdates with this group since before they were born! Seriously I think we went on a triple date when two of us were preggers! Oh how they have grown! 


So now "It's real!" we fly out tomorrow, the bags are ready to go...and yep you bet I am rockin' the chevron luggage! I'm sure there will be more tears at the airport, but I know this is what we are to be doing. This is a new and exciting chapter for us...and as I keep telling my friends and myself "we have facebook!!!!" 


Great news...I DO HAVE A JOB!!!! That in itself is a whole 'nother post!